Sheffy, Mazzaccaro, DePaolo & DeNigris, LLP
call now for free consultation
860-384-6319 | 800-221-5026
Result-Driven, Focused on Your Recovery

What you should do after you're injured in a crash

Do you know what to do if you're involved in a car or truck accident? Even as a victim, you have some responsibilities to uphold. Of course, the first thing you should do is to seek out medical attention, but following treatment, you need to take steps to obtain the compensation you need to pay for medical care and other financial losses.

When you are in the position to do so, your attorney can help you file a claim with the other driver's insurance carrier. If the person does not have insurance, then he or she can be sued directly with a civil lawsuit.

The claim you make allows you to claim for lost wages, pain and suffering from the accident, medical expenses and other losses. You'll likely file only one claim to either the other driver's insurance or your own, but there are cases when you'll need to file both. For instance, if the driver was under-insured and you carry under-insured driver coverage, you should file one claim with your own insurance company and the other with the other party's insurance.

If you are able, you should report the incident to the insurance carrier within 24 hours of the accident. If you are recovering and unable to file the report right away, you should do so as soon as possible. The insurance company will investigate your claim after you report it, and once it's verified, you should receive an offer for a settlement. It's important to review that offer with your attorney to make sure it's fair compensation for the suffering you've been put through. Our website has more information.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Our Location
166 North Main Street
Southington, CT 06489

Toll Free: 800-221-5026
Phone: 860-384-6319
Fax: 860-620-9348
Southington Law Office Map

Do you have a case?
Get a free initial consultation now.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy